Advancements in hardware technology, open-source software and development tools, cloud computing services, and the growth of the IoT have all contributed to making edge computing cheaper and easier.
As technology advances and generates more data, traditional centralized cloud computing architectures are becoming less effective in meeting the demands of emerging technologies like IoT, AI, and machine learning. It has led to the rise of edge computing market, a distributed computing paradigm that brings computation and data storage closer to the location where it is needed.
This article explores how technological advancements like cloud computing, 5G networks, and standardization have made edge computing cheaper and easier. It also discusses the benefits of edge computing and the challenges and limitations associated with implementing this technology. Furthermore, it will also mention some of the typical applications of edge computing and the devices required for its deployment, such as edge computing gateways.
What is edge computing?
Edge computing is a distributed computing model that brings computation and data storage closer to the location where it is needed. It reduces the need for data to travel between a central data center and devices. It works by deploying small computing devices, known as edge devices, at the network’s edge, capable of processing and analyzing data locally.
An IoT gateway is an intermediary device between the edge and the cloud. It filters the data before sending it to the cloud for further processing. Benefits of edge computing include reduced latency, improved data privacy, and increased efficiency and productivity.
Dusun’s IoT edge computing gateway is an innovative product that combines the features of edge computing and IoT gateways. It offers powerful edge computing capabilities, open software and hardware resources, and SDKs. Dusun’s edge computing gateways are ideal for IoT applications, including building management, energy management, manufacturing, transportation, and oil & gas.
Factors Making Edge Computing Cheaper
Some key factors have made edge computing more accessible and affordable.
Advances in hardware technology
The continued advancement of hardware technology has significantly impacted the cost of edge computing. Developing low-power processors and sensors has also made running sophisticated applications on devices with minimal power consumption possible.
Improved networking infrastructure
The growth of IoT networks, increased bandwidth, and reduced latency have made connecting edge devices and sensors to the cloud cheaper.
Cost-effective edge computing platforms
The availability of cost-effective edge computing platforms has also contributed to the affordability of edge computing. Open-source platforms like Raspberry Pi for IoT and Arduino help developers to build and install edge applications without costly exclusive hardware.
Edge-native cloud platforms
The emergence of edge-native cloud platforms has also contributed to the affordability of edge computing. Edge-native cloud platforms allow businesses to deploy cloud-based services closer to the edge, reducing latency and improving data security. These platforms can also help companies to reduce their infrastructure costs by allowing them to process data at the edge instead of in the cloud.
The above factors contribute significantly to making edge computing accessible to businesses of all sizes and have opened up a world of possibilities for real-time data processing and analysis. Dusun IoT’s cost-effective edge computing solutions can help businesses to take advantage of these benefits and stay ahead of the competition.
Factors Making Edge Computing Easier
The innovations in technology have now made installation and use of edge computing easier. Here are some factors that play a critical role in this regard.
Edge computing standards
The edge computing standards ensure that different vendors and solutions can work seamlessly with each other, reducing complexity and improving interoperability. Dusun IoT supports the Open Edge Computing Initiative (OECI) and Edge Computing Consortium (ECC), which work towards standardizing edge computing.
Improved software solutions
Improved software solutions, such as edge computing middleware, have made developing and deploying edge computing applications easier. Dusun IoT offers edge computing middleware that enables developers to deploy edge computing applications quickly and easily.
Development of edge analytics
Improving edge analytics tools has made processing data at the edge easier, reducing latency and bandwidth requirements. Dusun IoT offers edge analytics tools that allow users to perform real-time analytics at the edge, reducing data transmission to the cloud.
Cloud computing infrastructure and services
Cloud computing infrastructure and services have made deploying and managing edge computing applications easier. Dusun IoT offers cloud computing infrastructure and services that enable users to manage their edge computing applications from a centralized location.
Advancements in machine learning and AI
With the latest technological developments, developing intelligent edge computing applications that can perform complex tasks is easier. Dusun IoT offers machine learning and AI capabilities that enable users to build intelligent edge computing applications.
Integration with 5G networks
Real-time data processing needs to transmit large amounts of data transfer faster. 5G networks have made transferring data from edge devices to the cloud easier and more efficient. Dusun IoT offers 5G-enabled edge devices that enable users to transfer large amounts of data rapidly and efficiently.
Availability of edge devices and sensors
The availability of edge devices and sensors has made it easier to deploy edge computing applications. Dusun IoT offers a wide range of edge devices and smart sensors that can be used to deploy edge computing applications.
Adoption of open-source software and hardware
Adopting open-source software and hardware has made developing and deploying edge computing applications easier. Dusun IoT supports open-source software and hardware, enabling users to create and deploy edge computing applications using cost-effective and flexible solutions.
Who Should Use Edge Computing?
Edge computing can benefit a wide range of industries and use cases. Any organization that generates or processes large amounts of data can benefit from edge computing. A few industries that can benefit from edge computing include
- Smart Homes
In addition, corporations that count on real-time data processing or have mission-critical applications can benefit from edge computing. By integrating an IoT gateway, edge computing can also help organizations that use IoT devices and sensors. The gateway bridges the edge devices and the cloud, allowing faster processing and reduced latency.
Typical Applications/Usage Scenarios of Edge Computing
Here are some examples of how edge computing gateways are being used in different industries:
- Real-time patient monitoring and data analysis with edge computing gateways in hospitals and clinics
- Remote health monitoring of patients with chronic illnesses using wearable IoT devices and edge computing gateways
- Dusin IoT offers a complete range of healthcare products, particularly for elderly care.
You may also be interested in Home Health Monitoring LTE Gateway For Digital Healthcare Solution Vendors
- Predictive maintenance of industrial equipment using edge computing gateways to collect and analyze data in real-time
- Quality control and defect detection using machine vision and edge computing gateways on the factory floor.
- Fleet management and route optimization using GPS data and edge computing gateways in logistics and transportation companies.
- Autonomous vehicles and drones utilizing edge computing gateways for real-time decision-making and navigation
- Smart traffic management using edge computing gateways to collect and analyze data from traffic sensors and cameras
- Environmental monitoring and pollution control with IoT sensors and edge computing gateways in public spaces
- Dusun IoT provides a complete solution for lighting systems, including drivers, switches, sensors, and IoT lighting controllers. With their BLE Mesh gateway, you can build simple to complex IoT lighting control products and flexibly choose the desired features to match your needs.
- Personalized advertising and customer experiences using IoT sensors and edge computing gateways in brick-and-mortar stores
- Inventory management and supply chain optimization with edge computing gateways to track product movement and analyze data in real-time
You may also be interested in IoT Asset Management Solutions for Coffee Shops
- Smart grid management using edge computing gateways to monitor and control energy consumption in real-time
- Predictive maintenance of energy infrastructure using IoT sensors and edge computing gateways to detect anomalies and avoid downtime
- Precision agriculture with edge computing gateways and IoT sensors to monitor soil moisture, crop growth, and weather conditions
- Livestock monitoring and management with wearable IoT devices and edge computing gateways for real-time data analysis and decision making
You may also be interested in IoT Based Greenhouse Monitoring and Control System for Smart Agriculture
Dusun Edge Computing Gateway
Based on the factors discussed in this article, I recommend the DSGW-210 Edge computing gateway from Dusun IoT as a suitable product for edge computing.
- DSGW-210 uses the quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor, a low-power processor suitable for edge computing. It can provide efficient computing power without consuming too much energy.
- Dusun edge IoT gateway connects edge devices and sensors to the cloud or central servers. It supports multiple communication protocols, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Zigbee, and LoRa, making it suitable for many IoT applications.
- The DSGW-210 uses open-source software and is compatible with various cloud platforms, such as AWS and Microsoft Azure, which makes it easy to integrate into existing cloud infrastructures.
- Dusun gateway is cost-effective, which makes it ideal for small and medium-sized businesses that want to implement edge computing solutions without incurring significant costs.
The DSGW-210 IoT Gateway is a powerful device suitable for edge computing. It is designed to collect, process, and analyze data from IoT devices in real time, providing users with fast and reliable insights. With its high-performance processor and built-in security features, the DSGW-210 RK3328 is an ideal solution for businesses looking to implement edge computing technology into their IoT systems.
Its compact size and cost-effectiveness make it an attractive option for companies of all sizes and industries, allowing them to leverage the benefits of edge computing at a minimal cost.